‘It’s about my wife, 3 children’: NZ legend shocks by quitting central contract – Hindustan Times

Sports
Published on Aug 10, 2022 07:35 AM IST
  • Trent Boult, who has taken 317 Test wickets, 169 at ODI level, and 62 in T20I cricket, took the decision to spend more time with his wife and kids. Boult said it had been a difficult call to make.
New Zealand captain Kane Williamson gestures as he speaks with Trent Boult.(AP)
New Zealand captain Kane Williamson gestures as he speaks with Trent Boult.(AP)

In a development that is certain to cause a stir in the cricketing world, World Test championship winner and multiple World Cup finalist Trent Bout has decided to turn back on New Zealand’s central contract. New Zealand Cricket (NZC) has accepted the left-arm fast bowler’s decision after several rounds of discussion. While this doesn’t mean an end to Boult’s illustrious career spanning more than a decade but it does reduce his chances of playing international cricket as the NZC are set to prefer the contracted players.

Boult, who has taken 317 Test wickets, 169 at ODI level, and 62 in T20I cricket, took the decision to spend more time with his wife and kids. Boult said it had been a difficult call to make.

“This has been a really tough decision for me and I’d like to thank NZC for their support in getting to this point. Playing cricket for my country was a childhood dream and I’m so proud of everything I’ve been able to achieve with the Blackcaps over the past 12 years. Ultimately this decision is about my wife Gert and our three young boys. The family has always been the biggest motivator for me and I feel comfortable with putting it first and preparing ourselves for life after cricket,” he said.

Boult said he understood the move would diminish his chances of playing for New Zealand but he was willing to take the risk.

“I still have a big desire to represent my country and feel I have the skills to deliver at the international level. However, I respect the fact that not having a national contract will affect my chances of selection. Having said that, as a fast bowler I know I have a limited career span, and I feel the time is right to move into this next phase.”

NZC chief executive David White said the left-armer had made it clear during discussions that his appetite for touring had diminished, and that he wished to spend more time with his family.

“We respect Trent’s position,” said Mr White. “He’s been completely honest and up-front with us about his reasoning and, while we’re sad to be losing him as a fully-contracted player, he leaves with our best wishes and our sincere thanks.

“Trent’s made a massive contribution to the Blackcaps since his Test debut in late 2011 and is now considered one of the best multi-format cricketers in the world. We’re very proud of what he’s achieved.”

White said he was confident Boult understood what the decision meant in terms of his international playing future.

“We’ve had several conversations and I know Trent understands that, in terms of selection, NZC will continue to make a priority of those players with either central or domestic contracts.”



  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR




    At HT Sports Desk, passionate reporters work round the clock to provide detailed updates from the world of sports. Expect nuanced match reports, previews,reviews, technical analysis based on statistics, the latest social media trends, expert opinions on cricket, football, tennis, badminton, hockey,motorsports, wrestling, boxing, shooting, athletics and much more.

Leave a Reply